Monday, August 1, 2011

Assorted Praise for Myself

I'm never one to indulge in my own praise, but for those of you who enjoy poetry. Here is a compilation of assorted praise made of me by people who hadn't even looked at me, some people miles away who had heard word of my great beauty and saw fit to write.....

From the Carmina Burana, a collection of student songs:

If all the world were mine
From the seashore to the Rhine,
That price were not too high
To have England's Queen lie
Close in my arms

Anonymous German:

The sweet young Queen
Draws the thoughts of of all upon her
As sirens lure the witless mariners
Upon the reef.

Tribute to Eleanor from Roman de Troie

For my presumption, shall I be chid
By her whose kindness show no bounds?
Highborn lady, excellent and valiant,
True, understanding, noble,
Ruled by right and justice,
Queen of beauty and largesse,
By whose example many ladies
Are upheld in emulous right-doing;
In whom all learning lodges,
Whose equal in no peer is found.
Rich lady of the wealthy King,
No ill, no ire, no sadness
Mars your goodly reign.
May all your days be joy.


Philippe de Thaun:

God save Lady Eleanor, Queen, who is the arbiter
Of honour, wit and beauty,
Of largessse and loyalty.
Lady, born were you in a happy hour
And wed to Henry, King.


Unknown Troubadour


He who sees her lead the dance
Sees her body twist and twirl
Can see that in all the world
For beauty there's no equal
of the Queen of Joy!
From afar the Prince has come/come to interrupt the dance
For he fears no other man
May boldly seize the chance
to wed the April Queen




Immense thanks to historian Alison Weir from whose novel I acquired some of this poetry!!!! Thanks to Trace Tyler who showed me the last poem of this compilation!!!

Alison Weir

Wors Cited
  • Weir, Alison Eleanor of Aquitaine: a Life. New York: Ballantine, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment