Monday, August 1, 2011

My Father-in-law Geoffrey the Handsome, Count of Anjou

Geoffrey of Anjou
Interestingly enough, my father-in-law Geoffrey was closer in age to me than his son Henry, my husband. Geoffrey was born on August 24, 1113. Nine years prior to my birth in 1122. He, like me was the son of wealthy, titled man, his father was Fulk V of Anjou, King of Jerusalem. Mine was William X of Aquitaine.


At an early age he was given the nickname 'le Bel' meaning 'the Fair'. He was handsome and brave. Here is a description of him as acquired from the Chroniques de comtes d'Anjou (Chronicles of the Counts of Anjou) abridged from the rewritten version of the Chronicles by John of Marmoutier.


"Tall in stature, handsome and red-headed (he had many) outstanding, praiseworthy qualities. as a soldier he attained the greatest glory, dedicating himself to the defence of the community and to the liberal arts. He strove to be loved and was honoourable to his friends; he was more trustworthy than the rest. His words were always good-humoured and his principles admirable. This man was an energetic soldier and most shrewd in his upright dealings. He was meticulous in his justice and of strong character. he did not allow himself to be corrupted by excess of sloth, but spent his time riding about the country and performing illustrious feats. By such acts he endeared himself to all, and smote fear into the hearts of his enemies. He was unusually affable and jovial to all, especially soldiers."


'The charm, however, concealed a cold, shallow, and selfish character' writes Alison Weir. Still, despite this inner coldness, I believe Geoffrey to be the most like me of  my in-laws.

Matilda of England
When he was fifteen his marriage was arranged to Empress Matilda. When I was fifteen my marriage was arranged to Prince Louis of France. Both of our first marriage's were not a success. Matilda was proud of her status as Empress and haughty. Louis was handsome and kind, but monkish and overly religious.


But both marriages were brilliant, uniting territories and building new alliances. But Matilda and Geoffrey shared deep mutual resentment and this led him to take mistresses. Rumor has it, one of them was me. Whether this is true, I will not tell.

Another quality that made him like me was his like for art and literature. He was passionate about history and could converse in Latin.

Geoffrey lived up to his reputation when he conquered Normandy and became Duke of Normandy. He was nicknamed 'Plantagenet' for wearing a flower whose Latin name was 'planta genista' in his hat. He was man whose life had many similarities to mine, and, should I have been born male, I may have been even more like him.



Works Cited

  • Weir, Alison. Eleanor of Aquitaine: a Life. New York: Ballantine, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment